Sunday, October 11, 2015

Letchworth in Autumn

Being the Millennial I am, most of my trips start as Google searches.  When I glimpsed an image of Letchworth State Park, about 30 minutes south of Rochester NY, I was taken by an image of a shroud of clouds surrounding the "Great Bend" in the Genesee River.  I swore up and down I was going to catch it for myself.  Waking up at 4am was the price I had to pay, but look what I was rewarded with in return:



They call Letchworth "The Grand Canyon of the East."  Having been to the actual Grand Canyon, I can say that is a bit of an overstatement, but who cares?  Letchworth has three gorgeous waterfalls and one of the deepest gorges I've ever seen outside of Arizona.  You can hike the entire park, but if you take the most popular route you'll be sharing the hike with the road.

It is a built-up park and always has been.  Some of the trails on the East side of the park follow the path of a canal built in the early 1800's that connected the Allegheny River with the Erie Canal.  Nowadays the park is less industrial and more touristy, with campsites and an Inn just feet from the gorge.  The splendor can't be ruined though, with plenty of secluded points to enjoy in peace.  Let my pictures do the talking though. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment